99% Campaign delivers its first award for positive contribution to the local community
In challenging negative attitudes about young people, a major part of the 99% Campaign has been about promoting and sharing the many positive contributions that young people are making to society every day. As part of this, we have begun to issue awards for outstanding or important contributions made to the local community.
The first of these awards has gone to Vincent Sam, a 17 year old student from Thamesmead, for running several community projects, and going on to become a young advisor, graduating from Charlton Athletic Community Trust National Citizens Service (NCS). Vincent Sam helped to deliver a seven a side football tournament, raising money for The Rob Knox Foundation, and received countless awards and accreditations.
Vincent stated: ‘I am very proud to receive this award, because it signifies that the positive steps that young people such as myself take to contribute to the community are being recognised and rewarded. And I am very grateful that Charlton Athletic Community Trust and the 99% Campaign have given me such opportunities to do so.’
The Award, came with a prestigious work placement through Luther Pendragon, one of the UK’s leading independent communications consultancies, along with a Certificate, and a mystery gift.
Andy Carpenter, NCS Coordinator at Charlton Athletic Community Trust added that: ‘Vincent is an incredibly enthusiastic young man, a fantastic role model for other young people and has been an absolute pleasure to work with.’
Dr. Theo Gavrielides, Founder & Director of IARS, the charity that hosts the 99% Campaign echoed this, and spoke out about the importance of recognising contributions like this: “The last few months have been particularly tough for young Londoners. While the 99% of them continue to make daily contributions to their localities, it is through positive examples and role models such as Vincent Sam that we aspire to nature the talents of the remaining 1%. Given the lack of resources, we are fortunate to have partners such as CACT to support its cause”.
Vincent will be given the award at the 4th annual event of The Street Violence Ruins Lives Campaign.